Whether you work for a large funeral home with many rooftops or you operate out of a single location and serve fewer than 100 families per year, you have to admire Service Corporation International’s dedication to encouraging the funeral directors of tomorrow.
Since launching its scholarship program, SCI has awarded 477 mortuary science students with over $890,000. This year, it will award over $96,000 in scholarships to 25 students.
But you have to apply to be considered.
The scholarship program is part of SCI’s vision to promote excellence in funeral service and demonstrates its commitment to:
• Recognizing students with exceptional leadership potential who are dedicated to a career in the funeral profession.
• Providing financial support to future generations of funeral service professionals.
• Creating career opportunities for talented mortuary science students.
Qualified applicants must meet the below criteria:
• Be enrolled in a college or university program which has received accreditation from the American Board of Funeral Service Education.
• Be enrolled at the time of the scholarship deadline.
• Have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
• Cannot be a former recipient of the SCI Mortuary Science scholarship.
Applicants who are chosen as finalists must also be enrolled at the time of the scholarship event in March 2024.
The application process includes uploading an essay, resume, and video submission. You can save a partial application, but it is recommended that you have your resume, essay and video link ready when you begin your application. (At the end of the Fall semester, an official transcript will need to be submitted via email to SCI as the final piece of the application.)
Applicants must write a 250–300-word personal statement with their answer to the following:
Question: What individual throughout history, outside of your family, motivates you and why? (e.g., world leaders, athletes, artists, activists)
*Essay submissions will be judged on the first 300 words. Any essays exceeding 300 words will not be considered in entirety.
Applicants must also provide a videotaped response with their answer to: What excites you the most in life and why?
Get a variety of tips for filming your video and complete guidelines on SCI’s scholarship application page.