The world’s leading independent funeral service professionals will gather in Chicago, Illinois for Selected Independent Funeral Homes’ 105th Annual Meeting at the JW Marriott Chicago on Oct. 10-13, 2023. True to this year’s theme of “Connecting Leaders,” participants will have ample opportunities to network with colleagues, experience engaging educational sessions and obtain valuable continuing education credit. During the meeting, the association will induct its newest board representatives and officers, while recognizing the contributions of its outgoing officers.
Andrew Tarvin, most famous for his multimillion-view TEDx talk on the skill of humor, will present a keynote titled, “Leading on Your Feet.” The CEO, best-selling author and P&G Alumni Network “Visionary Under 40” member will equip participants with the skills necessary to unlock the talent of those around them, think on their feet and show confidence leading through change. And of course, he will do it with humor.
Star Bobatoon, an accomplished actress, attorney, author, dynamic trainer and award-winning speaker, will present “On Track and Out of Court: Understanding HR and the Law.” Going to court for compliance issues is no fun. Neither is sitting through a presentation on HR compliance — unless Star is the speaker. Her high-energy style, in-depth legal insight and real-world examples will give participants the confidence to keep their business on track.
Many other dynamic speakers will share valuable insights at the Annual Meeting. View details of all speakers and sessions online. Additional highlights include the following:
- Up to 9.5 hours of continuing education credit (0.95 CE Units) by the Academy of Professional Funeral Service Practice and states requiring CE. (Approvals vary by state.)
- Recognition of Selected Membership Milestone anniversaries.
- Induction of Selected’s 2023-2024 board chair and president, 2023-2027 board directors and recognition of outgoing officers.
- Recognition of the Selected Educational Trust’s Ambassador of the Year Awards honoring funeral service professional James H. Busch, owner and president of Busch Funeral and Crematory Services in Cleveland, Ohio; and industry partner leader Dean Lambert, former senior vice president of marketing and communications at Homesteaders Life Company.
- Opportunities to connect with Selected’s Preferred Partners both at their individual displays and during informational “Conversation Café” sessions.
- Several members-only sessions and activities for Selected members, including luncheons for members of Selected’s Communities.
- Two days of exclusive Selected Study Groups events for Selected Study Groups participants.
“For more than 100 years, Selected has used our Annual Meeting as a catalyst for positive change and an incubator for innovation,” said Byron Calhoun, 2022-2023 Selected president. “Iron sharpens iron. I’m excited to forge the future of funeral service as we gather in Chicago this fall!”
Spots are filling quickly! Register and make your hotel reservations today.
About Selected Independent Funeral Homes: For more than 100 years, Selected Independent Funeral Homes has been the leading association of independently owned death care providers. The Association connects leaders in funeral service by delivering innovative and pertinent resources, solutions and ongoing support to its international network. These leaders transform care as they aspire to the highest quality standards and best practices. As the capstone of Selected’s year, the Annual Meeting gives members and participants an opportunity to create the future of funeral service.